So I've been researching seminaries/theology schools, and I think I've settled on three that I want to visit and look at more seriously (in no particular order, yet): Wesley Theological Seminary, St. Paul School of Theology, and Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary.
I'm trying to decide between an MDiv degree and an MA degree...and then there are concentrations and whatnot to choose between too...I think visits will really help in deciding. Each has elements of working for social justice and each has programs that are more focused on the work/training/ordination track of UMC Deacons, but each location is very different from the others, and each say there is diversity in the student body...I think it will help me to see what tat looks like. I also want to experience worship at each school...that is really important to me.
In other news, I have three weeks left at my current job...without another job to start. I have a second interview at Luverne UMC for a job that I have always pictured myself working, though not in a specific location. Life is certainly funny sometimes. For several years, if not my entire life, I have been planning...being logical and setting and reaching goals that I thought I should be reaching...that I thought I wanted. Since responding in a concrete way to God's calling me to a life in full-time ministry, I have practiced much more response than planning. For a moderately (at least) type A person, this is difficult. I'm stretching my faith and patience and trusting in God's timing, because I truly believe that God's call and leadership in my life is better than relying on my own abilities and/or plans and/or gifts. Even in SAI, we recited "Every good and perfect gift is from above," and I truly feel that God will guide and show me a direction that draws me closer in understanding and relationship with God, and in love and compassion for my neighbors. Maybe quitting a job before you have another lined up is a "crazy" or "reckless" or "unwise" thing to do in our American culture, but I live for another world, and I believe that this life is not solely about getting to another life, but that Heaven can be experienced on Earth and that this life is a journey toward God, whether we are trying to get there or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment